Honor someone who’s an inspiration in your life in front of the Inspiration Mural on the Nittany Valley Heritage Walk. Your paver stone will be a permanent honor.
The Nittany Valley Heritage Walk exists to:
- Expand and protect the iconic Inspiration Mural in Downtown State College for future generations
- Share and perpetuate Penn State culture, character, and history
- Ensure the mural’s permanent conservation
The Nittany Valley Society will ensure the perpetual care and maintenance of the Heritage Walk so that your brick or stone can share a lasting message.
The Importance of the Nittany Valley Heritage Walk
As a part of the Nittany Valley Heritage Walk, you’re making possible so much:
- Growing Centre Foundation’s Nittany Valley Renaissance and Novak Fellowship endowments to positively impact new generations of students and townspeople
- Support and promote conservation efforts among students, alumni, professors, and residents
- Ensure Nittany Valley Press books are available to Penn Staters every year
Questions or inquiries? Contact email@example.com.
Supporting The Nittany Valley Society’s core programs
- Nittany Valley Press: Nittany Valley Press’s special collection of books, audiobooks, and digital editions is available to anyone thanks to the Renaissance Fund’s annual support, which also enables distribution of a limited number of complementary copies to Penn State students each academic year.
- Nittany Valley Heritage Walk: Ensuring perpetual care and maintenance of the Nittany Valley Heritage Walk as an enduring and distinctive part of Downtown State College.
- Speaking: Sharing the folklore and stories of our larger region are vital ways to ensure the enchantment of “Happy Valley” lingers in the hearts of every generation.
Conserving the Inspiration Mural
Over the last decade, the Hiester Street Inspiration Mural has grown into one of Happy Valley’s most distinctive landmarks. As the mural has expanded to include more of the individuals who shape the character of our community, hundreds of Penn State students and locals have left their handprints on the wall; many thousands more have considered its array of visages, some familiar, most not, and wondered about these people and the circumstances that brought them all together. It is here, in its capacity for participatory storytelling, that I find it so inspirational.
When mural artist and State College native Michael Pilato gives one of his famous guided tours, he recounts in fascinating detail the thought process behind how and why he, along with partner Yuri Karabash, painted each subject. It becomes clear that the story behind the mural is the story of a people and their place, a unique mechanism for celebrating Penn State and State College.
As a cultural conservancy dedicated to sharing these stories, The Nittany Valley Society makes a natural partner for Pilato in creating the Nittany Valley Heritage Walk. The concrete sidewalks adjoining the mural are being replaced with a beautiful and well-maintained brick walkway, and you can become a part of it with an engraved brick featuring a personal message, dedication or memorial.
Your purchase represents more than the chance to become a permanent part of a local tradition; it is a donation that will support preservation of the mural and our cultural conservation efforts. Each brick on the Nittany Valley Heritage Walk is a personal building block reinforcing the foundations of our community’s culture and identity. I hope you will add yours today.
We deeply appreciate your time, support, and active participation in the living community that makes the Nittany Valley one of the world’s most special places.
If you have questions or inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.